2Checkout is an ecommerce platform and online payment processing service that helps users sell products and services worldwide via multiple channels. It offers global payments, subscription options, digital commerce, and marketing tools among others. It charges fees ranging from 3.5% to 6% (plus 35 cents to 60 cents, respectively) and is best for merchants that sell physical and digital goods worldwide.
2Checkout Pros and Cons
Customer support is slow to respond
Steep learning curve on implementation
Extensive shopping cart integrations
Who 2Checkout Is Best For
- Merchants that sell physical and digital goods worldwide: 2Checkout supports multiple payment options and currencies. It provides uniform transaction fees for payments made anywhere in the world, with the exception of a few countries. It also has different payout options such as wire transfer and PayPal.
2Checkout’s pricing guide shows four subscription plans that have processing fees that range from 3.5% to 6% plus 35 cents to 60 cents, respectively. The main difference between the plans is access to premium features such as invoice management, global tax and regulatory compliance, and help for shopping carts customization.
3.5% + 35¢
4.5% + 45¢
6.0% + 60¢
*Note that you can sign up for free, no credit card required. You will have to pay only when you start selling.
2Checkout also offers the following add-ons: 2Convert (for increased conversion rates), 2Bill (for complex subscription management), 2Recover (for increased renewal recovery), 2Partner (for increased channel distribution and automation), and 2Service (for premium services and dedicated support). There are add-on features that are already included in some plans, and you may refer to its website for more details.
All plans include global payments, APIs and connectors, security and fraud protection, and access to email and chat support.
2Checkout’s basic plan is an easy and simple way to sell any type of product globally. You can accept mobile and online payments from 200 countries, integrate with any of the available 120+ carts, and set up recurring billing for your products.
Designed to develop and boost your subscription business, 2Subscribe includes all 2Sell features, plus smart subscription management tools. You can manage renewals and upgrades, gain insights through subscription analytics, and cover the entire subscription life cycle.
2Monetize is a full commerce solution for digital goods sales. You get all of 2Subscribe’s functions, as well as invoice management, global tax and regulatory compliance, access to 45+ payment methods, and help for shopping carts customization.
For businesses that want to scale up, Enterprise is recommended as it comes with premium onboarding, dedicated support, custom integration, and an affiliate network.
2Checkout Alternatives 2020
Most ecommerce and multichannel businesses
Growing businesses selling exclusively online
Brick and mortar shops that want a free online store
Starts at $29 per month
Starts at $29.95 per month
Starts at $0
2Checkout is designed to be comprehensive and flexible, allowing you to accept online payments from anywhere, with little or no complications. Here are some of its features to help you determine if it meets your ecommerce and/or payment provider requirements.
- Global payments: 2Checkout provides coverage in more than 200 countries and over 45 payment methods. It is available in greater than 30 languages and supports 100 display and billing currencies. Pay-outs are available via several methods: receive funds via wire transfer, ACH, PayPal, Payoneer, and in the currency of your choice (USD, EUR, or GBP).
- Mobile-friendly hosted and inline shopping cart: Its hosted cart has templates designed to optimize purchase flow and increase conversion rates. Meanwhile, the inline cart is ideal for a quick, straightforward checkout experience as it acts as an IFrame that opens on your website.
- Subscription management options: These are enrollment, subscription pause, and expiration reminders.
- Digital commerce: 2Checkout offers advanced capabilities for digital goods and software.
- Reporting analytics: Executive, financial, marketing, and subscription-related reports are available out of the box, while business KPIs can be generated with a few clicks.
- Marketing tools: You can set up affiliates, coupons and discounts, cross and upselling, bundling, upgrades and downgrades, freemiums and trials, and abandoned cart recovery.
- Adobe Analytics
- Ve Interactive
- Sheer ID
- Shopping carts include: Marketo, 1ShoppingCart, 3dcart, BigCommerce, Ecwid, CubeCart, OpenCart, and osCommerce
Most Helpful 2Checkout Reviews
Most 2Checkout reviews are positive, with the majority of users having raved about its ability to support multiple payment methods and currencies. They also like that its system can be customized according to one’s payment requirements. The drawback most reviewers have, though, is its steep learning curve. Others also complained that its support team is slow to respond to issues and concerns.
Covers many payment options for customer’s stores
“I like this platform as it allows me to accept credit and debit cards in my virtual stores. I like that it is a well-known payment gateway worldwide as this gives me confidence and security to continue using it. It can be integrated into many sales channels at present. It is a very complete platform, has all the necessary resources, shows very good statistics of the clients, and allows me to integrate Google Analytics to increase the optimization of my stores. I also like that I can accept PayPal and credit cards. I can cover more payment options, and people can pay with the payment method that they like the most.”
Customer support is slow to respond
“What I do not like about this platform is that it cannot be integrated well in Shopify. I currently use Shopify as my provider for the creation of ecommerce stores, and this platform does not integrate correctly there. When a client tries to complete an order, it is redirected to another tab to complete the payment. I do not like it to be redirected because this lowers the conversion rate. I also do not like that the support is very slow. They take a long time to activate a new account, and this is a problem because when we need to sell and start a new business, you need quick answers and quick activations.”
2Checkout Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does 2Checkout have a setup fee?
No, it doesn’t. However, if you need advanced support to get up and running, then you might be charged a fee for professional services.
Are there different transaction fees per country?
No, the transaction fees are the same worldwide. An additional 2% fee, called a cross-border fee, applies to some countries, so you can accept payments from shoppers outside your own country. A complete list of these countries can be found on 2Checkout’s website.
What payment methods does 2Checkout support?
2Checkout supports over 45 payment methods, such as standard credit and debit cards, PayPal, regional payment methods, and online wallets. The available options depend on the plan that you choose.
Our Top Ecommerce Software Picks
If you aren’t sure if 2Checkout is right for you, then this article on the best ecommerce platforms is a review of our top choices. Our team looked at a variety of software and narrowed our recommendations down based on price, ease of use, user reviews, and features such as payment processing, inventory management, reporting and analytics, additional sales channels, and integrations.