Blackbaud is a cloud-based nonprofit customer relationship management (CRM) platform that offers a wide range of integrated solutions, including marketing and engagement, payment services, and accounting software. Its fund accounting products include Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT, Blackbaud DonorCentral, and Blackbaud FIMS. Blackbaud is best for large to enterprise-level nonprofits and government entities that need a CRM platform with integrated analytics, payment processing, and fund accounting capabilities.
Blackbaud Pros and Cons
Easy to use and navigate
A bit expensive
Has a “Recently Accessed” list
Data are not always consistent
Offers more solutions than other providers
Customer service is reportedly not that responsive
Data are easily accessible
Who Blackbaud Is Best For
- Large to enterprise-level nonprofits that need a CRM platform with integrated analytics, payment processing, and fund accounting capabilities: Blackbaud offers a huge array of software solutions for nonprofit organizations, such as financial management, grant and award management, analytics, payment service, and accounting—all designed to help them connect effectively with donors and manage and track their financials.
Blackbaud’s pricing details for its accounting software solutions are not publicly available on its website, but you can contact the provider to request its pricing information or get a customized quote.
Blackbaud Alternatives 2020
Nonprofit Accounting Software
(Best overall) Nonprofit organizations that need an accounting platform with a customized chart of accounts and reports
Nonprofit companies looking for an alternative to QuickBooks for Nonprofit
Nonprofit organizations with annual gross receipts of more than $10 million that need accounting, projecting tracking, and CRM
Nonprofits that need to access their data 24/7/365 from any mobile device at an affordable price
Nonprofit organizations that require a software with an in-depth dashboard that provides multiple metrics at a glance and advanced report filtering
In addition to industry-specific software, your business might be served well by general-purpose small business accounting software.
Blackbaud’s fund accounting solutions are designed to help nonprofit organizations boost donor engagement, manage, track, and report on funds, process payments and donations, and more. Below is a list of its three main fund accounting software products and a glimpse of their features and capabilities.
Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT
Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT is an all-in-one platform where you can update and share out-of-the-box Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB)-compliant reports instantly, enforce internal control activities using automated workflows, and simplify your grant accounting management, among others. Some of its features include the following:
- Purchasing and expense management: Manage and track your entire purchasing and expense management cycle, from setting up unique business rules to entering purchase orders (POs) and creating invoices.
- Cash management: It lets you manage multiple bank accounts and credit cards, so you can process payments easily, monitor account activity, and reconcile transactions. You can view a list of all deposits and disbursements for every account.
- Grant accounting: Perform grant administrative activities without the need for spreadsheets. You may track grants by amount, status, type, and start and end dates.
Blackbaud DonorCentral is a donor fund management solution that assists in enhancing donor engagement and relationships. It is a configurable platform that helps you keep your donors informed about their grant and allow them to suggest grants anytime and anywhere.
Blackbaud FIMS is a fully integrated foundation management platform that enables you to manage requests, approvals, and declinations for grantmaking and scholarship programs. Its features include the following:
- Complete financial oversight: The platform lets you organize all your financial accounting activities, foundations, and funds in one place. You can use it to process payments and donations, calculate expenses and administrative fees, generate fund reports, and more.
- Portfolio tracking: With Blackbaud FIMS, you can manage a limitless number of pooled funds, reconcile investment returns, track pledges, calculate prices and gains, and more.
- Constituent relationship management: This lets you manage mailing lists and send customized group correspondence to your community members, board members, donors, and grantees.
Most Helpful Blackbaud Reviews
Users who gave positive reviews of Blackbaud like that it is easy to use and navigate and that it shows a “Recently Accessed” list. Some appreciate that it offers a huge array of software solutions while others commented that they can easily access data in helpful formats. Meanwhile, those who left negative reviews complained that it’s a bit pricey and that the data are not always consistent. Others also mentioned that its customer service is not that responsive.
Offers an array of software tools, and data is accessible
One user who left a positive review of Blackbaud on G2 said that it offers a wide array of helpful tools. He added that he can access donor data in impressive formats with charts, graphs, and reminders.
Pricey, data is not always consistent, and customer service is not responsive
One user who left a negative review of Blackbaud on G2 dislikes that it’s a bit pricey and that any upgrade requires extra cost. He added that the data in the dashboard sometimes doesn’t match with the data that is in Blackbaud Financial Edge NXT and that its customer service takes time to get back to his questions and concerns.
Blackbaud Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What markets does Blackbaud cater to?
Blackbaud caters to the following markets: nonprofit organizations, arts and cultural organizations, companies, faith-based communities, foundations, healthcare organizations, higher education institutions, individual change agents, and K-12 schools.
Does it provide training and support to new customers?
Yes, it does. Blackbaud offers various kinds of training and support resources to new customers, including its Blackbaud University (an online support portal), online communities, downloadable guides, and how-to documentation.
Does it have a mobile version of its financial management platform?
Yes, it does. It has a mobile app, called The Raiser’s Edge (RE), and it is available on Google Play and in the App Store.
Our Top Nonprofit Accounting Providers
In case you still aren’t sure if Blackbaud is right for you, then this article on the best nonprofit accounting software is a review of our top choices. In this guide, we looked at a variety of solutions and narrowed our recommendations down based on pricing, ease of use, customer reviews, and key features, such as donor management, budgeting or forecasting, and accounts receivable (A/R) and accounts payable (A/P) management.