Cratejoy is an ecommerce platform for subscription box businesses. It helps you manage your business, build a custom website, and acquire customers through its Marketplace. Its monthly plans range from $0 to $39, plus transaction fees, and Cratejoy is best for existing ecommerce sellers and those who are looking to enter the subscription box market.
Cratejoy Pros and Cons
Exposure to Marketplace
High transaction fees
Easy to set up all-in-one solution
Lacks scalability and customization
Useful reports and reporting tools
Who Cratejoy Is Best For
- Existing ecommerce sellers and those who are looking to enter the subscription box market: Cratejoy is designed to be an all-in-one solution for subscription box services. You can link your existing store or create one from scratch using its templates and gain access to its subscription management and renewal tools. You can also benefit from listing your product in its Marketplace since your product may get a lot of exposure.
Cratejoy’s pricing page shows three monthly plans that cost anywhere from $0 to $39. The main differences between the tiers are the transaction fees, Marketplace listing, and availability of premium features such as your own custom website, subscription CRM, and advanced renewal and shipping tools.
Sell on the Marketplace Only
11.25% + 10¢
1.25% + 10¢
1.25% + 10¢
All of Cratejoy’s plans support 138 currencies and include fraud protection. If you’re interested, then you can sign up for the 14-day free trial of the All-in-One plan.
Sell on the Marketplace Only
This is for users who want to grow their existing customer base. There are no monthly fees if you choose to list your subscription box service in Cratejoy’s Marketplace, but you will have to pay 11.25% + 10 cents per transaction or sale. When you sign up for a listing, you get to work with affiliates and enjoy the benefits from Cratejoy’s marketing initiatives (it receives 30,000+ unique views daily).
With Checkout Only, which is ideal for those with an existing website, you can use its backend support system to provide an easy customer experience for your buyers. You can utilize a responsive, user-friendly, and secure checkout option, as well as gain access to advanced renewal, shipping, and customer management tools.
This plan has an all-inclusive Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) solution for recurring revenue models. Under All-in-One, you can create your own custom website using responsive web templates, gain access to advanced renewal and shipping features, backend and Marketplace subscriber support, built-in customer management tools, and a free listing in Marketplace.
Cratejoy Alternatives 2020
Most ecommerce and multichannel businesses
Growing businesses selling exclusively online
Brick and mortar shops that want a free online store
Starts at $29 per month
Starts at $29.95 per month
Starts at $0
Cratejoy was designed to be an all-in-one solution for subscription box services, providing you with a website, subscription management options, and reporting tools. I have listed its most important features below to help you decide if it meets your ecommerce requirements.
- Exposure to Cratejoy’s Marketplace (a listing of subscription box services)
- Referral campaigns
- Subscription site designer: Customizable templates with guaranteed 99.9% uptime and 24/7 monitoring
- Subscription Box CRM: Your customer’s order history, active subscriptions, shipping information, and notes are linked together in your customer management interface, so it’s easier to handle customer questions or support issues. You can also keep your subscribers from canceling by letting them skip a renewal cycle.
- Subscription management: This allows your subscribers to manage their subscriptions from their own accounts.
- Cancellations and refunds: This lets you cancel or refund any order with a few clicks from the customer management interface.
- Analytics and tools
- Subscription KPIs (churn, cancellation analytics, conversion funnel analytics, traffic sources, lifetime value, and more)
- Exports and APIs for power users
- Cash flow reports
- Customizable coupons
- Shipping- and tax-smart checkout
- Google Analytics-ready
Here is a list of Cratejoy’s integrations:
- Pirate Ship
- Commerce Sync
- Referral Program
Most Helpful Cratejoy Reviews
The majority of Cratejoy reviews online are positive, with many highlighting how easy it is to start a subscription service. Most users also rave about the exposure their products get from Marketplace, adding that it has definitely helped boost sales. Meanwhile, common negative feedback is its high transaction fees, with many expressing frustration over the fact that it takes too much from sales revenue. Another complaint is that Cratejoy lacks scalability and integrations.
Easy to use; constantly updated features
“Cratejoy is a great place if you have a subscription plan service. It is easy to use and highly customizable: fancy fonts, various color schemes, and pictures. They are constantly updated with new features to make using it even easier.”
High transaction fees; limited customization
One user who left a negative review on Capterra complained that transaction fees are quite high if you list one’s subscription box in the Marketplace. He added that there are limited templates available, noting that even with the WYSIWYG builder, all the sites look the same.
Cratejoy Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What countries is Cratejoy available in?
Cratejoy is available in all countries that Stripe supports.
Do I have to be a Cratejoy merchant to get listed in Marketplace?
Yes, you have to be a Cratejoy merchant or partner to be listed in Marketplace. Cratejoy merchants can easily list from their business portal.
Do I have to be listed in Marketplace to use Cratejoy?
No, you can run your subscription website using Cratejoy without being listed. It’s an optional service that is designed to help get you more subscribers.
Our Top Ecommerce Software Picks
If you aren’t sure if Cratejoy is right for you, then this article on the best ecommerce platforms is a review of our top choices. Our team looked at a variety of software and narrowed our recommendations down based on price, ease of use, user reviews, and features such as payment processing, inventory management, reporting and analytics, additional sales channels, and integrations.