HireRight Pros and Cons
Global reach; employment screening services cover more than 200 countries and territories
Customer support isn’t always helpful
Robust ATS integration options
Release of background check results are sometimes delayed
Easy to use
Who HireRight Is Best For
- Hiring teams, nonprofit organizations, and businesses in the transportation, retail, healthcare, education, and financial services industries: HireRight has extensive employment verification services—from identity and criminal background checks to drug screening—which can be tailored to fit your business’ needs. Its global coverage also lets you verify the validity of a candidate’s international credentials (such as employment and education information from across 200 countries and territories).
HireRight’s pricing scheme is based on the number of background checks you’ll need in a year. For those that require less than 100, the provider has three plans (which are offered through backgroundchecks.com) that cost anywhere from $29.95 to $64.95 per check. If you need more than 100, then you’ll have to request a quote.
Less Than 100 Background Checks in a Year
More Than 100 Background Checks in a Year
Ranges from $29.95 to $64.95
Criminal Database Searches and Alias Checks
Drug Screenings, Form I-9s, and E-Verify
Less Than 100 Background Checks in a Year
If you’re a small business that requires basic background checks, then you may want to consider this option. Available through backgroundchecks.com, you can select one of its three plans that include instant non-hit results, alias verifications, criminal record checks, and county criminal searches.
More Than 100 Background Checks in a Year
This option is ideal for midsize to large businesses that need comprehensive employment screening services and solutions. Apart from criminal database searches and alias checks, you gain access to drug screenings, ATS integrations, electronic Form I-9s, and National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) reporting. You also get E-Verify, which is a tool for confirming a candidate’s eligibility to work in the United States.
HireRight Alternatives 2020
Background Check Companies
(Best overall) Any business, thanks to the full range of affordable background checks offered
Healthcare and nonprofit firms that need to ensure the safety of their clients
Employers in states like California, Massachusetts, and New York with tough labor laws
Professional companies that don’t require drug testing; top-rated affordable alternative to GoodHire
Global firms using enterprise software systems like Workday and PeopleSoft
Finance and bookkeeping services wanting financial and credit history of their hires
HireRight has a suite of employment screening services and background check solutions that are designed to help you efficiently verify candidate information and work credentials. Let’s take a look at some of the platform’s essential features.
Background Check Services
You gain access to more than 50 background check services that cover 200+ countries and territories. Here are some of its services:
- Criminal background checks: HireRight’s criminal background checks include searching through federal, county, and state criminal databases. The provider can also conduct sex offender registry searches and fingerprint-based criminal history checks. The said biometric test is ideal for those whose specific vacancies are considered regulated job roles (such as education and financial services jobs).
- Drug and health testing: HireRight has partnered with Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)-certified laboratories and device manufacturers to offer a comprehensive selection of drug and health tests. Here are a few of its services:
- Alcohol screening devices and evidentiary breath alcohol testing
- Laboratory-based oral fluid, urine, and hair drug testing
- Physical exams and wellness services that follow client-specific and Department of Transportation (DOT) exam protocols
- Point-of-collection (instant) drug testing devices
- Pre-employment medical assessment and questionnaires
- Education and employment verifications: You can check a candidate’s education history, such as the school’s name and type of degree earned. For employment verifications, HireRight will validate the candidate’s current and previous employment details, from job titles and salary information to dates of employment.
- Identity checks: You can verify whether or not the government-issued identification number provided by the candidate is valid. Moreover, HireRight can confirm candidate identity by validating the information indicated on the applicant’s passport.
- Professional license checks: Apart from checking the validity of a candidate’s professional licenses (such as driver’s and medical-related licenses), HireRight will search for any derogatory records and disciplinary actions.
- Professional reference checks: If you want to gain insight into a candidate’s character and work ethic, then you may want to consider getting this service. After a candidate has identified a person as a professional reference, HireRight will ask the said person several standardized questions and then document the responses. For reference, some of the questions include asking about the candidate’s strongest attributes, professional motivations, and interpersonal skills.
E-Verify and Electronic Form I-9 Solution
This solution, which complies with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requirements, is designed to help you streamline employment eligibility verification processes for new hires. It lets you create, download, store, print, and electronically sign digital Form 1-9s. This tool also includes duplicate document detection, form annotations and notes, customizable email alerts, and an audit trail that can indicate when a form has been modified and by whom.
Dashboard and Analytics
To help you understand how your employee screening programs are performing, HireRight offers a self-service dashboard with background checks-related analytics and key performance indicators (KPIs). The dashboard also comes with configurable data filters and downloadable charts that you share with colleagues via email.
With HireRight, you gain access to a wide selection of pre-integrated ATS and HR platforms. Some of its partner systems include the following:
- Zoho Recruit
Most Helpful HireRight Reviews
Many users who left positive HireRight reviews online like its user-friendly platform, ATS integrations, and easy to read background check reports. On the other hand, a few reviewers complained about having experienced occasional delays in receiving employment screening results. Several others also noted that its support team isn’t always helpful.
Ease of use and customizability
A user who left a positive review on G2 described its platform as very user-friendly. He also appreciates that he can customize its background check services to fit his business’ needs.
Inconsistent customer support quality
One user who left negative feedback on G2 said that its customer support isn’t always helpful. He explained that while he can easily contact its support team, there have been some instances where the instructions that he received didn’t address his queries directly.
HireRight Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I have contractors and temporary workers. Can HireRight help me verify their information?
Yes, it can. HireRight’s extended workforce screening service can help you validate the information and work credentials of contractors, temporary staff, and contingent workers, including vendors and partners.
Does HireRight offer a candidate portal?
Yes, HireRight has a secure candidate portal that acts as a communication hub between you and the applicant. Its features include a live chat tool, customizable accessibility settings, online forms, and email alerts to notify the candidate when documents or electronic signatures are needed. Additionally, candidates can view their completed background check reports directly from the portal.
How soon can I get my ordered background check reports?
You can get your background check reports within one to three business days, depending on the employment screening services that you have selected.
Our Top Background Check Company Picks
If you aren’t sure if HireRight is right for you, then this article on the best background check companies is a review of our top choices. Our team looked at a variety of solutions and narrowed our recommendations down based on price, user feedback, customer support, and features such as employment screening, compliance tools, and software integrations.