Media Temple is a web hosting service provider designed and built with features focusing on providing fast and reliable service. It supports the most popular Linux server-side applications, such as Apache, PHP, Python, and MySQL. Its monthly plans cost $20 to $60. It is best for ecommerce sites with large inventories and those that anticipate heavy website traffic.
Media Temple Pros & Cons
Offers short term (monthly) plans
The introductory plan, Personal, does not include a global content delivery network (CDN)
Even the lowest plan supports many websites
Does not support cPanel
Offers solid-state drives (SSD) on all plans
Does not offer free domain registration and SSL certificates
Who Media Temple Is Best For
- Ecommerce sites with large inventories and those that anticipate heavy website traffic: Given that all Media Template’s plans offer solid-state drive (SSD) storage, multiple websites, and scalable bandwidth, it guarantees reliable website speed and uptime. Media Temple is ideal for large ecommerce sites with lots of product images and videos, as well as intense bursts of web traffic.
Media Temple Pricing
Media Temple’s shared hosting service is called Grid. Its monthly pricing ranges from $20 to $60, which could go up depending on the term length. Each plan has 1,000 email accounts. For users who do not have an existing domain or want to register a new one, Media Temple charges $18 per year.
Media Temple Tiered Pricing & Features
Number of Websites
Media Temple Add-ons
G Suite ($6 per month): This offers an ad-free professional Gmail account with 30GB of cloud storage and 24/7 Media Temple support for your domain.
SiteMover ($150 one-time fee): Its migration specialists will transfer your site from another host to your Media Temple service.
MT Security ($79 per month): Get malware cleanups and website blacklist removal service from Media Temple’s experts. This add-on supports up to five domains. It also gives your website a web application firewall that blocks harmful traffic, and a global content delivery network to improve speed.
SSL ($75 to $315): Media Temple’s custom SSL includes domain validation, Google ranking boost, a padlock in the address bar, and a Secure Trust seal. Its pricing depends on the number of sites you would like to secure.
Media Temple Alternatives 2020
Web Hosting Providers
For businesses looking for turnkey web hosting plans that come with everything you need for as little as $2.95/month
Businesses that want the flexibility of a no-contract, month-to-month hosting plan
Marketers needing fast load times for sites that experience traffic surges
Businesses whose priority is super-fast website load times
Companies looking for fast global website speeds
Startups needing to launch a site quickly
Media Temple Features
- SSD storage: All plans use solid-state technology to make your data and databases perform faster and more reliable than hard disk drives (HDD).
- Intrusion protection: Media Temple has 24/7 security monitoring plus protection from denial of service attacks and intrusion. It keeps your sites safe from botnets and hackers.
- Backup and restore: Media Temple’s shared hosting service offers a 30-day automatic file backup and restore options to protect your website from data loss.
- Managed app catalog: The platform features one-click installs of over 20 applications. These apps include WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla, plus popular open-source options for ecommerce, cloud storage, and more.
Summary of Media Temple Reviews
As of the date this article was written (July 21, 2020), there are very few up-to-date Media Temple reviews online. If you are a past or current Media Temple customer, leave a review to help other business owners decide whether or not to use the service.
Media Temple Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does Media Temple support cPanel?
No, it doesn’t. Media Temple has a custom-built control panel that can be found within your MT account management center.
What security measures does Media Temple do to protect my sites?
Media Temple’s servers are housed in Tier 3+ data centers, where they are physically protected from threats. The company also has its team of security engineers that look out and prevent online security threats.
Can I access my Grid email on mobile devices?
Yes. With Media Temple’s numerous supported email clients and mobile devices, you can access your Grid email and contacts from anywhere.
Our Top Web Hosting Company Picks
If you aren’t sure if Media Temple is right for you, this article on the best web hosting companies is a review of our top choices. Our team looked at a variety of solutions and narrowed our recommendations down based on the price and features, such as storage, uptime, and extras like free domains.