Northland Insurance is a specialized business insurance provider that offers coverages, such as auto liability, motor truck cargo, physical damage, tool and equipment floater, workers’ compensation, and general liability for truck class. Founded in 1948, it is now part of Travelers, which is one of the largest commercial insurers in the United States. Its plans are customized and are best for commercial trucking and public transportation companies.
Northland Insurance Pros and Cons
Provides insurance in all 50 states
Does not offer online quotes
Backed by Travelers, a mega insurance provider
Has limited insurance coverage options
The only truck insurance carrier with an A++ rating from A.M. Best
Who Northland Insurance Is Best For
- Independent owner-operators: Its owner-operator truck insurance offers you flexible coverage, competitive pricing, value-added services, and convenient billing.
- Public auto passenger carriers: It provides tailor-fit coverage options that suit the type of protection and service your company needs. This is beneficial to companies that transport passengers, which include limousines, vans, buses, and shuttle services.
- Fleets: Companies with large fleets of vehicles and complex requirements can benefit from Northland Insurance’s 70 years of experience in the transportation industry. Combined with its expertise, dedicated claims professionals, and risk control management, the insurer can help you increase safety, reduce loss, minimize claims, and lower insurance costs.
Northland Insurance Costs
Like most insurance providers, Northland Insurance does not publish its product costs on its website. Its policies are sold through independent agents, so if you are interested in getting a personalized quote, you may connect with one of its local agents. To find a listing of independent retail agents to represent you, visit its website.
Northland Insurance Alternatives 2020
Commercial Truck Insurance Companies
(Best overall) Small business owners in multiple industries who want easy online quotes
Small business owners who use light and medium trucks and vans
Owner-operators engaged in long-haul trucking who want a commercial truck insurance package
Motor carriers and independent owner-operators who haul high-value cargo
Manufacturers, wholesalers, and distributors with small fleets
Truckers who haul hazardous materials, such as explosives and gas
Towing and repossession companies that want quality coverage from an expert insurer
Northland Insurance Coverages
Northland Insurance’s products are designed to provide motor carriers and public auto passenger companies with the best protection and coverage possible. Listed below are some of its most popular insurance solutions discussed in detail.
This is a mandatory and customizable insurance solution that covers costs for third-party damages. Northland Insurance’s auto liability comes with highlights and unique coverages, which include prompt motor carrier filings, garage keeper coverage, family emergency travel (covers up to $2,500 limit for travel expenses), deductible reimbursement, and nontrucking liability.
Motor truck cargo
Northland Insurance’s Premier Cargo coverage is one of the broadest in the industry and insures a wide range of commodity types as well as high-value and specialized freight. The insurer also offers a more customized cargo coverage for newer motor carriers that are in business for less than two years or for those that haul autos or boats.
Its Custom Cargo coverage provides you many of the same benefits as its Premier Cargo coverage, plus the flexibility to choose and pay for only certain coverages that you need.
This offers broad protection for claims from covered accidents resulting from collision, fire, theft, hail, vandalism, and flood. Aside from the typical physical damage inclusions, Northland Insurance also offers additional coverages. These include roadside coverage and rental reimbursement (for public autos) and a bundle coverage, called Deluxe coverage (for owner-operators).
This coverage is only available for customers who have their truck policy with Northland Insurance. It should also be noted that while Northland Insurance manages this product, its coverage is written on Travelers paper. This means that in the event of an accident, claims will be processed by Travelers workers’ compensation claims team.
Northland Insurance Features and Services
Northland Insurance’s features and services are created to make its clients’ experience easier. Listed below are some of its most notable ones:
- 24/7 claims: Its claims professionals have specialized, in-depth, and hands-on training to manage transportation-specific claims.
- Risk control: It invests in industry-leading tools and resources, as well as transportation risk control specialists, to add value to your claim investigation process and mitigate losses on your part as a business owner.
- Special investigations group (SIG): Its SIG team is available whenever and wherever you need help to secure your cargo and stay on the road. Its SIG investigators have backgrounds in law enforcement and are recognized by law enforcement and federal agencies.
- Legal services: It has one of the largest transportation-dedicated legal teams in the US, with more than 90 in-house litigation attorneys covering 35 states.
- Financial strength: Acquired by industry giant, Travelers, Northland Insurance has more than 70 years of experience in writing truck coverages. It is also the only truck insurance carrier with an A++ rating from A.M. Best.
- Motor carrier filings: It offers free state and federal highway motor carrier filings with same-day service if submitted by 2:30 p.m. Central time.
Most Helpful Northland Insurance Reviews
As of this article’s writing (June 2, 2020), there are very few Northland Insurance reviews online. If you are a past or current Northland Insurance client, then leave a review to help other business owners who are deciding whether or not to use the company.
Northland Insurance Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Every business situation is unique and small business owners should seek out answers before selecting an insurance provider. We’ve gathered some of the most FAQs about Northland Insurance below and answered them.
How can I report for a claim?
You may call Northland Insurance directly at 800-328-5972 or you may submit your request online through its website.
What information do I need to submit a claim?
Initially, you will be required to provide your name (as the claimant), contact details, date of the incident, the state where the incident occurred, description of the incident, and policy information. There may be additional information required, depending on your claim.
What types of vehicles does Northland Insurance cover?
It provides insurance for commercial trucks and public transportation vehicles like limousines, buses, daycare transportation, shuttle services, church and social services vehicles, and more.
Our Top Business Insurance Provider Picks
In case you still are not sure if Northland Insurance is right for you, then this article on the best commercial truck insurance for business is a review of our top choices. In this guide, we reviewed several providers and narrowed them down to our top picks based on key criteria like coverage types, customer service, and pricing.