OnPay is a full-service payroll solution that automates your payroll taxes and filings and also processes your employees’ and contractors’ wages. It features essential tools for human resources (HR), paid-time-off (PTO) management, organizational charts, payroll taxes automation, and more. Its pricing starts at $40 per month and is specifically designed for startups, small businesses, and accountants.
OnPay Pros and Cons
Intuitive and feature-rich software
Great customer support
While it has a low-cost pricing structure, it does not offer tiered plans that cater to different needs
Offers benefits in all 50 states
Who OnPay Is Best For
- Startups and growing businesses: OnPay allows you to run payroll fast and easy, no matter how small or big the company is. You can also process as many pay runs as you need at no additional cost.
- Small businesses that want to offer benefits to their employees: OnPay works with small businesses and offers benefits in all 50 states, including medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as 401(k) retirement plans.
- Accountants: The system seamlessly integrates with QuickBooks Desktop, QuickBooks Online, Xero, and other popular accounting and time-tracking software to help accountants and bookkeepers deliver accurate services to their clients.
OnPay’s pricing starts at $36 per month (base fee) plus $4 per active employee, per month. The platform can handle up to 1,000 active employees. It also provides unlimited payroll runs without additional fees for direct deposit or debit card payments. You may request a printed and mailed W-2s for $5 each plus shipping fees.
The first month of using the system and the migration from the old provider are free of charge. Also, there are no fees for withholding, remitting or filing payroll taxes, and changing or canceling the subscription. It also does not charge users for facilitating direct deposits, using debit cards, or printing their own checks.
OnPay offers standard payroll features, like automated and unlimited payroll runs along with basic HR functions. These HR functions include online document storage, employee self-onboarding, pay-as-you-go workers’ compensation, and employee benefits. Here are some of OnPay’s key features.
Payroll Taxes Automation
OnPay system calculates the specific state and federal payroll taxes. It also handles tax withholding and payments as well as tax form filing.
Essential HR tools
OnPay offers HR features that allow your business to stay organized and compliant. These features include automated onboarding flows, e-signing, built-in document templates, in-app offer letters, state new hire reporting, non-HR tasks like information technology (IT) delegation and tracking, and more.
Organized Org Charts
This feature organizes employees by location, department, or team. The system also offers searchable company directory, visual org chart, automatic updates to org charts, and detailed employee profiles and contact info.
OnPay can create flexible paid time off policies based on multiple criteria. The platform also has tools for automatic accrual tracking, PTO calendar and reminders, email notifications, and in-app requests and approvals.
Most Helpful OnPay Reviews
Most users who gave OnPay reviews online rave about how easy it is to use and understand. Its outstanding customer service was consistently observed too. While few users mentioned that integrating it with other platforms, specifically with QuickBooks, is a bit challenging, OnPay replied that it has expanded its integration offerings.
Easy to use software
A user who left a positive OnPay review commended the quality of customer service as well as the ability to simplify payroll processes. She also loves that there are no extra charges for pay run changes, corrections, or cancellations, unlike with other payroll providers.
Experiencing integration issues
As of the date that this article was written (March 27, 2020), there are very few negative OnPay reviews online. One user shared that integrating it with QuickBooks Online is inefficient as he needs to keep on syncing data. He added that the function to upload payroll data to QuickBooks Online has been problematic. According to him, when it disappears, it will reappear the next day, which results in receiving collection notice from the state.
OnPay Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Will OnPay charge me for quarterly and annual tax filings?
OnPay has no hidden fees and does not charge you for filing your payroll taxes to the federal and state.
What are the available resources of OnPay?
The platform offers helpful resources, such as OnPay Knowledge Center, HR Resource Center, and Payroll Process Guide, to help you utilize the system.
Which industries does OnPay cater to?
OnPay caters to several types of industries, including farms and agriculture, hospitality and healthcare, dentistry, franchises, nonprofits, and restaurants as well as startups and entrepreneurs.
Our Top Payroll Software Provider Picks
If you are not sure if OnPay is right for you, this article on the Best Payroll Services and Companies is a review of our top eight choices. Our team looked at a variety of solutions and narrowed down our recommendations based on price, ease of use, scalability, and features.
Disclaimer: The following information was provided by OnPay and does not necessarily reflect the views of FitSmallBusiness.com.
What is OnPay?
OnPay sets a new standard in payroll my making it faster and easier for every small business (and their accountant) to get payroll right. We get top ratings and reviews because we do a lot more for a much lower price. OnPay’s low, monthly fee includes:
- Unlimited monthly pay runs
- All tax filings and payments (including W2s and 1099s)
- Best-in-class integrations with QuickBooks, Xero and top time-tracking software
- A complete set of HR tools (onboarding, offer letters, PTO management, org charts and much more)
- An in-house team to help with benefits and workers’ comp
- Our error-free guarantee
Our goal is to give your small business more of its most valuable asset — you. We combine 30 years of payroll experience with the latest technology to simplify payroll and HR for any business with 1 to 500+ employees, even if you run a restaurant, farm, nonprofit, church, or other organization with special tax requirements.
We also give accountants a single dashboard, flexible permissions, and best-in-class GL integrations so you can do everything your way.
- Full-service payroll: OnPay handles all paychecks, taxes, and everything else you need to take care of your team.
- Built-in HR. No extra cost: Get organized, stay compliant, and save time with self-onboarding, offer letters, PTO tracking, org charts, and much more.
- Integrated benefits: From health insurance to workers’ comp to retirement plans, our experienced team makes it easy.
OnPay News & Activity
Here’s the latest from OnPay. You can see all our latest news, announcements and accolades on our News Page.
- 2019: OnPay top-rated for SMBs by The Motley Fool
- 2019: OnPay wins 5/5 stars from CPA Practice Advisor
- 2019: OnPay launches HR tools
- 2018: OnPay announces accountant program
“OnPay was originally part of a traditional payroll company that had to figure out how to take care of every kind of client that came our way. When we launched our cloud-based payroll ten years ago, we felt like we couldn’t leave any of our existing clients behind, so our payroll simply had to be able to serve everyone well — no shortcuts.”
OnPay Customer Service
Everyone on OnPay’s award-winning customer support team receives training from the American Payroll Association. In addition to friendly, expert help, we offer:
- Free migration of all your employee information and prior wage data
- Help setting up and validating software integrations
- An error-free guarantee
- Responsive support by phone, email or chat. Try us out: 1-877-328-6505.
OnPay Unique Features
There are two things that really set OnPay apart from other modern payroll providers:
- We have the features and functionality to serve EVERY small business well. From customizable HR tools that growing businesses can use to stay organized to making it simple for small businesses to process garnishments or bonuses, OnPay checks all the boxes (and then some).
- Our low pricing is totally transparent. Unlike other providers, all our services are included for a single monthly fee of $36, plus $4 per person. No fine print. And no extra fees for W-2s or 1099s, direct deposit, HR tools and advice, software integrations, multiple locations, or anything else you can think of.