OnPay is a payroll solution that provides complete and flexible cloud-based payroll services. It features essential tools for human resources (HR), paid time off (PTO) management, organizational charts, payroll taxes automation, and more. Its pricing starts at $40 per month and is specifically designed for startups, small businesses, and accountants.
OnPay Pros & Cons
Intuitive and feature-rich software
The user interface looks outdated
Reasonable pricing scheme
Slow payment process
Great customer support
Who OnPay Is Best For
- Startups and growing businesses: OnPay allows users to run payroll fast and easy, no matter how small or big the company is.
- Small businesses: OnPay works with small businesses to make sure they are running payroll easily. It is equipped with full-service payroll, reminders, and an error-free guarantee.
- Accountants: The system seamlessly integrates with QuickBooks (desktop and online), Xero, and other popular time-tracking software to help accountants and bookkeepers deliver accurate services to their clients.
OnPay pricing is $36 per month (base fee) plus $4 per active employee, per month. The platform can handle up to 1,000 active employees. It also provides unlimited payroll runs without additional fees for direct deposit or debit card payments. Users may request a printed and mailed W-2s for $5 each plus shipping fees.
The first month of using the system, as well as the migration from the old provider, are free of charge. Moreover, there are no fees for withholding, remitting, or filing payroll taxes, changing or canceling the subscription, or direct deposits, debit cards, or printing your own checks.
Here are some of OnPay’s key features that will help users run payroll and HR tasks.
Payroll Tax Automation
OnPay system calculates the specific state and federal payroll taxes. It also handles the tax withholding and payments, as well as filing of all tax forms.
Essential HR tools
OnPay offers HR features that allow users to stay organized, save time, and get compliant. These features include automated onboarding flows, e-signing, built-in document templates, in-app offer letters, state new hire reporting, non-HR task (such as IT) delegation and tracking, and more.
Organized Org Charts
This feature enables users to organize employees by location, department, or team. The system also offers a searchable company directory, visual organization chart, automatic updates to organization charts, and detailed employee profiles and contact information.
OnPay allows users to create flexible paid time off policies based on multiple criteria. The platform also has tools for automatic accrual tracking, PTO calendar and reminders, email notifications, and in-app requests and approvals.
Which Payroll Software Provider Is Right for You?
Most Helpful OnPay Reviews
Most users who gave OnPay reviews appreciate its intuitiveness. Others said that its customer service is very responsive and helpful. Some users, however, shared that the payment process is not as fast as they thought and that its interface does not look appealing.
Very easy to use software
“The staff responds quickly. The software is easy to use. Staff and taxes are easy to manage. Its direct deposit feature makes processing payroll a breeze. For my staff, who work the same hours every week, the self-service payroll makes it simple.”
— Manisha Ekaant
Slow payment process
“We would like our payments to be made faster. The process sometimes requires a couple of working days. It would help us much more if it could be faster.”
— Daniella Oryazabal Risquez
OnPay Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does OnPay charge its users for quarterly & annual tax filings?
No. OnPay has no hidden fees and does not charge its users for filing payroll taxes.
What are the available resources of OnPay?
The platform offers helpful resources, such as OnPay Knowledge Center, HR Resource Center, and Payroll Process Guide, to help its users utilize the system.
Which industries does OnPay cater to?
OnPay caters to several types of industries, including farms and agriculture, hospitality and healthcare, dentistry, franchises, nonprofits, restaurants, startups, and entrepreneurs.
Our Top Payroll Software Picks
If you aren’t sure if OnPay is right for you, this article on the Best Payroll Software is a review of our top seven choices. Our team looked at a variety of solutions and narrowed down our recommendations based on price, features, and customer support.
Disclaimer: The following information was provided by OnPay and does not necessarily reflect the views of FitSmallBusiness.com.
What is OnPay?
OnPay sets a new standard in payroll my making it faster and easier for every small business (and their accountant) to get payroll right. We get top ratings and reviews because we do a lot more for a much lower price. OnPay’s low, monthly fee includes:
- Unlimited monthly pay runs
- All tax filings and payments (including W2s and 1099s)
- Best-in-class integrations with QuickBooks, Xero and top time-tracking software
- A complete set of HR tools (onboarding, offer letters, PTO management, org charts and much more)
- An in-house team to help with benefits and workers’ comp
- Our error-free guarantee
Our goal is to give your small business more of its most valuable asset — you. We combine 30 years of payroll experience with the latest technology to simplify payroll and HR for any business with 1 to 500+ employees, even if you run a restaurant, farm, nonprofit, church, or other organization with special tax requirements.
We also give accountants a single dashboard, flexible permissions, and best-in-class GL integrations so you can do everything your way.
- Full-service payroll: OnPay handles all paychecks, taxes, and everything else you need to take care of your team.
- Built-in HR. No extra cost: Get organized, stay compliant, and save time with self-onboarding, offer letters, PTO tracking, org charts, and much more.
- Integrated benefits: From health insurance to workers’ comp to retirement plans, our experienced team makes it easy.
OnPay News & Activity
Here’s the latest from OnPay. You can see all our latest news, announcements and accolades on our News Page.
- 2019: OnPay top-rated for SMBs by The Motley Fool
- 2019: OnPay wins 5/5 stars from CPA Practice Advisor
- 2019: OnPay launches HR tools
- 2018: OnPay announces accountant program
“OnPay was originally part of a traditional payroll company that had to figure out how to take care of every kind of client that came our way. When we launched our cloud-based payroll ten years ago, we felt like we couldn’t leave any of our existing clients behind, so our payroll simply had to be able to serve everyone well — no shortcuts.”
OnPay Customer Service
Everyone on OnPay’s award-winning customer support team receives training from the American Payroll Association. In addition to friendly, expert help, we offer:
- Free migration of all your employee information and prior wage data
- Help setting up and validating software integrations
- An error-free guarantee
- Responsive support by phone, email or chat. Try us out: 1-877-328-6505.
OnPay Unique Features
There are two things that really set OnPay apart from other modern payroll providers:
- We have the features and functionality to serve EVERY small business well. From customizable HR tools that growing businesses can use to stay organized to making it simple for small businesses to process garnishments or bonuses, OnPay checks all the boxes (and then some).
- Our low pricing is totally transparent. Unlike other providers, all our services are included for a single monthly fee of $36, plus $4 per person. No fine print. And no extra fees for W-2s or 1099s, direct deposit, HR tools and advice, software integrations, multiple locations, or anything else you can think of.