Paylocity offers cloud-based payroll and HR solutions for small to large-sized businesses. It features a unified human capital management (HCM) platform that enables users to streamline payroll, benefits administration, employee time tracking, and talent management processes. Its monthly fees reportedly start at $2 per employee.
Paylocity Pros and Cons
Efficient payroll and time-tracking tools
Has a steep learning curve for beginners
Competitive pricing plans
Inconsistent customer support
Wide range of integration options
Some features are unintuitive
Who Paylocity is Best For
- Businesses that want just one platform to manage core HR and payroll processes: Automate day-to-day HR operational tasks with a suite of solutions that is designed to improve HR effectiveness, enhance employee engagement, and drive strategic workforce-related business decisions.
The Paylocity pricing guide isn’t published on its website. According to a third-party site, its fees start at $2 per employee per month; while its Web Pay tool costs $2 to $4 per employee per month. Those interested may contact the vendor to request a quote.
Paylocity Alternatives 2020
Easy-to-use HR and payroll for businesses with less than 50 employees
Onboarding, benefits, payroll, and PTO in a single platform
Easy-to-use employee scheduling and time tracking
Dedicated HR manager to help craft HR policy and maintain compliance
Comprehensive HR and payroll options for companies of any size
Paylocity’s suite of solutions helps users manage day-to-day HR administrative tasks more efficiently, allowing them to focus on other business projects. It has a highly configurable platform that unifies payroll with other HCM applications. Here are some of Paylocity’s important functionalities.
Payroll and Benefits Administration
Users can simplify and streamline employee pay processing with Paylocity’s payroll solution. It comes with custom checklists, compliance tools, pre-process pay registers, configurable frameworks, expense report management, and tax reporting services. Meanwhile, its benefits administration module includes online employee enrollments, configurable benefit plans and rules, electronic carrier files, and analytics.
Time and Labor Management
This solution features time clock kiosks that allow employees to clock-in and out, request paid time-offs, and view timesheets using a preconfigured tablet. Its geofencing parameters enable HR teams to identify location parameters that prevent users from clocking-in/out on mobile devices if they are outside the set geographical area. Additionally, it comes with scheduling and reporting tools.
Its talent management tools are designed to help users attract and retain top talents. Its features include recruiting and applicant tracking, employee goals and performance management, compensation management, and a learning management solution that comes with a course builder and a library of pre-made training programs.
Paylocity offers HR tools that enable users to reduce the amount of time needed to manage employee information. Its self-service portal provides employees and managers with an online solution to view pay information, update personal data, collaborate with colleagues, set-up workflows, and approve pay rate and schedule changes.
Most Helpful Paylocity Reviews
Users who left Paylocity reviews online gave mixed feedback about its ease of use. Several reviewers noted that it is generally user-friendly, while some mentioned that it has a steep learning curve for beginners. There are also those who said that its prices are competitive and that its payroll and time-tracking tools are efficient.
On the other hand, a few users expressed disappointment about the inconsistent service of its support team, adding that some of its customer representatives are helpful, while others are unresponsive. Several reviewers also commented that some of its features—such as its frequent password changes, auto log-outs without notifications, and onboarding tools—are cumbersome and unintuitive.
Pricing is very competitive
“I have used ADP, Ceridian, Lawson, Paycor, and Paylocity. I was a Paylocity user at two different times. Paylocity far surpasses the others with the best bang for your buck. They have very competitive pricing. Their strong point is their report writer. It is SUPER easy to use with almost limitless functionality. It’s a true ad hoc report writer unlike other reporting systems that are so unlimited … It also offers hundreds of canned reports that make it easy to build off of.”
—Sandy Breihan Sinclair
Automatic log-outs without notifications
“The Web Time tool is my biggest complaint with this software. After a certain amount of time of inactivity, it will auto log you out. I expect this of any payroll software, but Paylocity does not inform you through any notification and doesn’t display that you’re logged out until you make some type of action. This leads to a serious issue of employees thinking they’re clocking in/out but are instead being logged out and missing time punches.”
Paylocity Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What does its mobile app feature?
Paylocity’s mobile app for iOS and Android devices allows eligible users to access the company directory, view pay and benefits information, submit and approve work schedule and expense report requests, time in and out, and more.
Can I run employee surveys using Paylocity?
Yes, you can. Its survey tool includes a form builder, 12 question types, conditional questions, survey templates, scheduling capabilities, result sharing, and response dashboards.
What types of business apps can it integrate with?
According to Paylocity’s website, it has a marketplace of around 300+ integration partners across 20 categories—such as applicant tracking systems, benefit administration programs, time and attendance solutions, and learning management tools among others.
Our Top HR Software Picks
If you aren’t sure if Paylocity is right for you, this article on the 7 Best HR Software for Small Business is a review of our top choices. Our team looked at a variety of solutions and narrowed our recommendations down based on price, ease of use, and features—like payroll, leave management, onboarding & employee self-service, and applicant tracking.
Disclaimer: The following information was provided by Paylocity and does not necessarily reflect the views of FitSmallBusiness.com.
What is Paylocity?
Paylocity (NASDAQ: PCTY) is a leading provider of cloud-based payroll and human capital management (HCM) software solutions. Paylocity’s comprehensive product suite delivers a unified platform for professionals to make strategic decisions in the areas of benefits, core HR, payroll, talent, and workforce management, while cultivating a modern workplace and improving employee engagement. Founded in 1997 and headquartered in Schaumburg, Ill., Paylocity has consistently been recognized nationally for its innovation, culture, and growth. Most recently, Paylocity was honored as #20 on Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work Employees’ Choice list; recognized on several G2 Crowd Grid® Reports, including ranking #1 in Satisfaction on six HCM software-focused reports; named one of the 101 Best & Brightest Companies to Work For; and ranked #30 on Crain’s Chicago’s Fast Fifty list of fastest-growing companies, among receiving a number of other national and local awards. For more information about Paylocity, visit www.paylocity.com.
News & Activity
- Paylocity Announces Second Quarter Fiscal Year 2019 Financial Results
- Paylocity Honored as One of the Best Places to Work in 2019, A Glassdoor Employees’ Choice Award
- Paylocity Hosts Record-Setting Number of Clients & Announces New TPA Solutions at 10th Annual Elevate Conference
- 2008-2018 Chicago’s Best & Brightest Companies to Work For – 2018 Elite Winner
- 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019 – Glassdoor – Best Places to Work
- 2013-2018 – Crain’s Fast 50 – Fastest Growing Companies
- 2014, 2017, 2018 – Glassdoor – Top CEOs – Employees’ Choice
- 2015-2018 – Selling Power – 50 Best Companies to Sell For
- 2012-2019 – BuiltIn – Best Places to Work Chicago
- 2017-2018 – Best Places to Work In Idaho 2014, 2017-2018 – Best & Brightest Companies to Work For In The Nation
- 2016-2017 – Orlando Business Journal – Best Places to Work
- 2013 – 2017 – Deloitte Technology – Fast 500
- 2017 – CIO Applications – Top 25 HR Technology Solution Providers
- 2019 – G2 Crowd – Top 50 Products for Mid-Market
- 2019 – G2 Crowd – Top 100 Software Companies
- 2019 – G2 Crowd – Top 50 Fastest Growing Products
- Dedicated Service Weekdays 7 a.m.–7 p.m. CT
- Every Paylocity client is assigned a dedicated Account Manager and support team, and all clients have the option to call, email, or use the chat feature within Web Pay—all of which ensure a timely response from our team.
- Our phone system recognizes your unique Company ID, so you are routed directly to your Account Manager.
- Your Account Manager or a specialist on your dedicated team will respond to your email within 24 hours.
- On-demand support is now available within Web Pay!
- Your success is our number-one priority. That is why we deliver this dedicated service model that ensures timely, customized support. All Account Managers are experts who are qualified, trained, and U.S.-based.
- 90 percent of calls are answered in 19 SECONDS OR LESS.
- We respond to client emails in 4 HOURS OR LESS.
- On internal training tests, Account Managers get 90 PERCENT OR HIGHER.
As a payroll or HR professional, you have unique insights into your organization. Move your company forward by harnessing data found right in your payroll and HCM software. With a comprehensive solution, you can leverage reports, analytics, and automation to make an impact today. Reduce redundancy. Maximize efficiency. Enhance the value you bring.