ProConnect Tax Online, by Intuit, is a cloud-based professional tax preparation software designed to work alongside their incredibly popular bookkeeping software, QuickBooks Online Accountant. QuickBooks Online Accountant users can try ProConnect for free and only pay when a return is filed as ProConnect is a true pay-per-return system with no annual fee.
Who ProConnect Tax Online Is Best For
- Firms with remote tax preparers: ProConnect Tax is the only software on our best tax software for tax preparers that is a true cloud-based system. ProConnect Tax, QuickBooks Online, and the built-in document management system can be accessed by your preparers from anywhere on the web.
- QuickBooks Online ProAdvisors: Its integration with QuickBooks Online Accountant lets you manage your tax and accounting clients from a single dashboard.
- Self-employed certified public accountants (CPAs) that need free continuing professional education (CPE): ProConnect Tax Online offers free webinar series and live events to help you earn the CPE credits you need.
When ProConnect Tax Online Is Not a Good Fit
- Do-it-yourself tax filing: ProConnect Tax Online is not for individuals and businesses who are looking into preparing and filing their own taxes. If you’re looking for a DIY tax prep solution, check out our review of the best small business tax software.
- Tax preparers that prefer software with an all-inclusive price: ProConnect Tax Online is strictly pay-per-return pricing. It may not be a good fit if you need a solution for unlimited tax returns.
- Consolidated returns: ProConnect Tax cannot consolidate subsidiary returns automatically into a consolidated return.
ProConnect Tax Online Alternatives 2020
Tax Software for Tax Preparers
Accountants who want high-end tax software that can calculate consolidated and oil and gas returns.
Tax firms wanting cloud-based software to manage the entire firm
Tax professionals wanting an affordable price for unlimited tax returns
Accountants who want a midpriced option that will transfer information from QuickBooks Desktop.
CPAs utilizing CS Professional Suite for their tax and audit practice
ProConnect Tax Online Pros and Cons
Cloud-based system eliminates installation and information technology (IT) headaches
Expensive for small firms. The total per-return fees for 100 business returns is $10,978.50
No annual fees with per-return fees that get less expensive as the number of returns increase
No package for unlimited tax returns
Manage tax returns from your QuickBooks Online Account client register
Cannot prepare Form 5500 or Form 706 returns
Full integration with QuickBooks Online Accountant
Cannot customize client letters and invoices
ProConnect Tax Online Pricing
ProConnect Tax Online is strictly pay-per-return with no annual fees. As the number of tax returns go up, the price per return decreases. For instance, it costs $117.95 per return for one to nine business returns and $104.95 per return for 10 to 49 business returns.
Number of Returns*
*Both individual returns (1040) and business returns (1041, 1065, 1120, 1120-S, and 990) include e-file for federal, state, multistate, and municipal returns.
Regardless of the numbers of tax returns you wish to file, you will get access to a robust set of tax forms, free e-file, extensions, and amended returns, automated data conversion, Easy Start program, free continuing professional education (CPE) credits at live training and recordings, unlimited phone and chat support, QuickBooks Online Accountant integration, document collection, tax reform tools and training, and regular updates.
ProConnect Tax Online also offers eSignatures, which are free for the first five and $2.99 per return after five. You may also take advantage of its pay-by-refund service, a program where your fees are paid out of your client’s refund.
ProConnect Tax Online Features
From automated calculations to smart filters, ProConnect Tax Online offers a robust set of productivity tools and features and diagnostics to help you manage complex tax duties. You may try out its features for free and only pay when you file returns.
To help you decide if ProConnect Tax Online is for you, here’s an overview of some of its functions.
Help your 1040 and Schedule C clients plan ahead by creating printable plans to compare multiple scenarios across multiple years (up to three scenarios per year).
Make it easy for your clients to review and sign any document securely from any online device.
View all your documents on a single screen, whether they are uploaded by you or your client. You can view them while working on the return and download them when needed. You can create customized requests for tax information from your clients based on prior-year information.
QuickBooks Online Accountant Integration
Its integration with QuickBooks Online Accountant lets you manage your tax and accounting clients using the same dashboard. It also lets you review your client’s books at the end of the year, eliminating the need for manual data entry when preparing returns.
Keep track of your clients’ documents and organize them in folders. You can upload documents in batches and send multiple request templates to multiple clients at once.
Summary of ProConnect Tax Online Reviews
There are very few up-to-date ProConnect Tax Online reviews as of this writing. If you are a past or current ProConnect Tax Online customer, please leave a review to help others who are deciding whether or not to use the product.
ProConnect Tax Online is a great option for QuickBooks ProAdvisors looking for an efficient way to prepare tax returns for their QuickBooks Online clients. However, you’ll pay for the convenience of ProConnect with 100 business returns racking up pay-per-return fees of nearly $11,000. ProConnect includes impressive features, such as electronic filing, batch processing, data import, a tax planner, and free CPE credits for self-employed tax professionals.