QuickBooks Premier Manufacturing and Wholesale Edition is an industry-specific version of QuickBooks Premier desktop accounting software. It is a great choice for small- to medium-sized light manufacturers and wholesalers with experienced bookkeepers. QuickBooks Manufacturing and Wholesale includes all the features of QuickBooks Premier, plus additional sales, assembled products, and inventory reports.
After you purchase QuickBooks Premier, you can select to download the Manufacturing and Wholesale edition for no additional charge. You can purchase QuickBooks Premier for a one-time payment, or for an annual subscription that includes unlimited support, free edition upgrades, and online backups.
Pros & Cons of Quickbooks Manufacturing and Wholesale Edition
Very fast navigation and input compared to cloud-based programs
License required for each simultaneous user (max 5)
Create invoices and purchase orders from sales orders
Difficult to share with an off-site accountant compared to cloud-based programs
Automatically transfer cost and quantity from inventory to manufactured products
Doesn’t track weight of inventory for shipping
QuickBooks Premier Manufacturing and Wholesale Edition Pricing
The manufacturing and wholesale edition of QuickBooks Premier is available for the same price as the general business edition. You can purchase QuickBooks Premier for a one-time payment or as an annual subscription.
QuickBooks Premier Manufacturing and Wholesale Edition
QuickBooks Premier Plus Manufacturing and Wholesale Edition
$499.95 per year
Simultaneous Users Allowed With a Single License
Additional License for Each Additional Simultaneous User
(maximum 5 users)
$499.95 per year
(maximum 5 users)
Required Edition Upgrades
Every 3 years
Free Maintenance Updates
Free Upgrade to New Edition Each Year
Unlimited Customer Support
Online Data Backups
Ready to get started with QuickBooks Manufacturing and Wholesale Edition?
Who QuickBooks Manufacturing and Wholesale Edition Is Right For
- Manufacturers with complex assemblies: You can define the amounts of materials, inventory, and labor needed for a particular assembly. Those amounts are transferred automatically to the assembled product each time an assembly is completed.
- Businesses with special pricing rules: Prices can be customized by customer, customer type, or assigned to individual sales.
- Businesses that need detailed sales reports: Sales can be broken down by sales representative, product, product type, customer, and customer type.
Who Should Choose a Different Accounting Software
- Business needing to track the weight of products: QuickBooks will not track the weight of inventory or assembled products, which would help calculate shipping charges.
- Businesses with an inexperienced bookkeeper: QuickBooks Manufacturing and Wholesale Edition is not the best option if you plan on keeping the books yourself unless you have experience with bookkeeping. It’s a very powerful program, but it takes time to master. Compared to cloud-based software, it’s hard to share your books with an external accountant when you need help.
Not sure whether to go with an on premise or cloud based accounting software? Read our guide to Quickbooks Online vs Desktop to understand the main differences.
Alternatives to QuickBooks Manufacturing and Wholesale Edition
Consider instead because
Named our best accounting software for small business
Allows FIFO inventory cost method and up to 30 simultaneous users
Allows up to 25 simultaneous users
More affordable while including some inventory management
Quickbooks Manufacturing and Wholesale Edition Key Features
Manufacturers and wholesalers will find these useful features:
- Create inventory items: You can create an item for each product in inventory, whether the item will be sold or used in an assembly to create a manufactured product. The item will track the average cost per unit to be used if the item is either sold or consumed in an inventory assembly. You can also designate a default sales price. The item screen allows you to designate a reorder point and provides information on units on hand, purchase order, and sales order.
- Specify inventory assembly: You can create a special inventory item, called an inventory assembly, for your manufactured products. As part of the inventory assembly item, you specify a bill of materials showing the exact items, including labor, and quantities that go into the manufactured product. The bill of materials will provide a total cost for manufacturing the product.
- Build assembly: You can specify the number of products to manufacture in the build assembly screen, and the program will remove the items on the bill of materials from their respective inventory counts automatically and add to the manufactured products inventory. The assembly screen provides helpful information such as the quantity available for all needed items and the maximum number of products you can manufacture based on the inventory availability.
- Create sales order: As orders are received, you can create sales orders that will remove inventory items from the quantity available. Hence, you know when to reorder or increase the production of manufactured products.
- Create an invoice from sales order: When orders are fulfilled, an invoice can be generated from the sales order and either printed or emailed to the customer.
- Create purchase order: If purchases are necessary to fulfill orders, a purchase order can be created directly from the sales order while specifying which items on the sales order need to be purchased.
- Specify custom price levels: You specify a default sales price when inventory items are set up. However, you might not want to charge the default price to every customer. For example, you might charge high-volume customers a lower rate on particular products or orders. You can create a custom price level that specifies a special price item-by-item, or you can create a pricing rule that adjusts the default price up or down by a specified percentage. Once a customer price level is created, it can be assigned to specific customers and/or selected when an invoice is created.
- Reports: In addition to the powerful reports that can be generated by the general business edition of QuickBooks Premier, QuickBooks Manufacturing and Wholesale has the following:
- Sales by rep detail: This report will show a list of invoices by sales representative for the specified period, which may be useful when determining compensation or bonuses.
- Sales by customer type: You can create custom classifications for your customers. For instance, you might separate your customer into homebuilders, end-users, and retailers. This report will allow you to see total sales separated by the customer classifications.
- Profitability by product: This report provides the actual revenue and cost for the period, separated by each product sold. You can use this report to identify profitable products to promote or identify products where changes are needed.
QuickBooks Manufacturing and Wholesale is a powerful industry-specific version of QuickBooks Premier. In addition to all the bookkeeping features of Premier, it allows you to control inventory better and provides more flexibility to customize pricing. While it’s a great desktop software, it’s complicated and will require a dedicated and experienced bookkeeper to harness its power.
After purchasing Premier, select the Manufacturing and Wholesale edition for no additional charge before downloading the program. Visit QuickBooks to purchase the program for a one-time fee or subscribe to the program for an annual fee that includes free edition upgrades.