Square Online Store is an ecommerce platform that lets you sell online, offer curbside pickup, or do local delivery, and it features Square POS sync, inventory management, and shipping tools among others. It has a free plan and paid monthly fees that range from $16 to $79. Square Online Store is best for those that have retail stores and want to add an online component such as restaurants and professional services (like salons).
Square Online Store Pros and Cons
Very easy to use and quick to set up
Few payment processing options
Limited customization features
All-in-one ecommerce and payment processing solution
Who Square Online Store is Best For
- Businesses that have brick-and-mortar stores and want to launch an ecommerce shop: Restaurants, coffee shops, salons, flower shops, and even nonprofit organizations can use Square Online Store to offer the online component of their businesses (book appointments, accept donations, and offer delivery options such as in-store pickup, curbside pickup, or local delivery). The free plan is robust enough for you to launch an online store; and if you are already using Square POS, then it is easier to sync orders online and in-store.
Square Online Store Pricing
Square Online Store’s pricing guide shows a free plan and three paid subscriptions that cost anywhere from $16 to $79 per month. The main difference between the plans is the availability of premium features like custom domain, customer reviews, and abandoned cart emails among others.
2.9% + 30¢
2.9% + 30¢
2.9% + 30¢
2.6% + 30¢
Numbers of Products
Online Shopping Cart
Publish to a Custom Domain
Abandoned Cart Emails
Real-Time Shipping Calculator
*Annual fees are paid in full at the start of the billing cycle.
Note: In response to the challenges small businesses are facing during the COVID-19 pandemic, Square rolled out a local delivery option and is waiving fees for curbside pickup orders and local delivery until June 30, 2020.
Square Online Store’s free plan provides everything that you need to start selling online (an automatic inventory, order, and product sync with Square POS, as well as integrations for Instagram and Pinterest). You also get an online shopping cart with the ability to sell unlimited products for pickup or delivery (with a 2.9% + 30¢ fee per transaction). If you want to learn how to launch your store, then read our article on how to set up a free Square Online Store.
The Professional plan includes all free features, plus the following: 1) publish to a custom domain; 2) free custom domain for a year; and 3) no Square branding and ads.
Along with all features included in Professional, the Performance option allows you to grow your business with the following integrated ecommerce features: customer reviews, abandoned cart emails, and order fulfillment with discounted shipping labels.
Square Online Store’s highest plan gives you the lowest rate on transaction fees (2.6% + 30¢), the highest discount on shipping rates (up to 55%), and a real-time shipping rate calculator.
Author’s note: Square Online Store’s free plan is valuable as you get to set up and launch your store without the need for technical know-how. However, it comes with the following trade-offs: Square advertising is reflected on your site’s footer, your site address reflects “square.site,” and you only have Square as a payment option.
If you are planning to grow your business or want a professional site, then I recommend subscribing to the Performance plan. For $26 a month, you can use your own domain name, get marketing features (such as abandoned cart and customer review emails), and add PayPal as a payment option. If you think a lower order processing fee is advantageous to your business, then I would assume that you have huge monthly sales. In this case, I would recommend that you check enterprise ecommerce platforms that will offer you advanced features (such as extensive integrations and automation) at a similar price range.
Square Online Store Alternatives 2020
Most eCommerce and multichannel businesses
Starts at $29 per month
Starts at $29.95 per month
Starts at $18 per month
Square Online Store Features
Square Online Store lets you sell a variety of products (such as digital and physical goods, services, and event tickets) and accept donations. It also seamlessly integrates with your brick-and-mortar store if you already use the Square POS system. Take a look at its most notable features below.
- Delivery options (local delivery or curbside pickup): Give your shoppers the option to order items online and pick them up at your curbside or have them delivered right to their doorstep. Set estimated delivery time, delivery fee, and minimum delivery order value, as well as in-store pick-up hours.
- Store management: Generate coupons, accept gift cards online and in-person, and send order-status text alerts to customers.
- All-in-one shipping tools: Print labels, select carriers, track shipments, and save up to 55% on UPS shipping rates.
- Automatic sync with Square POS: Integration with Square POS automatically keeps online and in-person purchases and inventory in sync. You can use Square to update your stock to reflect the following changes: stock received, inventory recount, restock return, and loss of stock due to damage or theft.
- Payment processing: The only drawback with Square Online Store is that you can only use Square as your payment processor. However, PayPal can be added as an option if you are subscribed to the Performance or Premium plan.
- Instagram and Pinterest integrations
- SEO and Marketing: Your website is mobile-responsive, which is essential for Google ranking, and SEO headers and descriptions can easily be set up per product. Marketing features include abandoned cart emails and product reviews. Contact forms can also be used to collect email addresses and survey responses.
Summary of Square Online Store Reviews
As of the date this article was written (April 28, 2020), there are very few up-to-date Square Online Store reviews online. The updated reviews I read are mainly positive, with all users commending the platform for being intuitive and easy to set up. They also noted end-user experience is amazing, with many of their customers commenting how easy it is to shop on their websites.
Meanwhile, some of the negative comments include difficulty in selling digital downloads and very limited customization abilities. It is notable, however, that most users are generally happy with the software. If you are a past or current Square Online Store user, then leave a review to help others who are deciding whether or not to utilize the platform.
Square Online Store Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can I use a custom domain?
Yes, but only by subscribing to an annual plan.
What payment types can I accept in my online store?
Square Online Store lets you accept all major credit cards, Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Square Pay.
Do I get free web hosting when I open an online store?
Yes, you get unlimited bandwidth plus a free SSL certificate. SSL ensures that visitors navigate your site over a secure 128-bit encrypted connection and enables customers to checkout directly on your domain.
Our Top Ecommerce Software Picks
If you aren’t sure if Square Online Store is right for you, then this article on the best ecommerce platforms is a review of our top choices. Our team looked at a variety of software and narrowed our recommendations down based on price, ease of use, user reviews, and features such as payment processing, inventory management, reporting and analytics, additional sales channels, and integrations.